- 2 cups water, boiling
- 2 cups frozen blueberries, defrosted
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper, ground
- 1 Tbsp garlic, granulated
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp juniper berries
- 2 12oz cans root beer, alcoholic
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- In a large 2-3 gallon stock pot, bring the water to a boil and turn off.
- Add the blueberries, seasonings, ketchup, vinegar, spices and root beer. Mix well to combine.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Set aside 2 cups of brine mixture for finishing sauce. Pour rest of the mixture into stock pot.
- Prepare your protein for the brine.
- Add protein to the brine and make sure it is completely covered.
- Brine for approximately 45 minutes per pound of protein.
- Remove from the brine when done. Do not rinse. Cook as desired.
Finished Sauce Instructions
- In a small sauce pan, add the 2 cups of reserved brine.
- Add 1 cup of dried blueberries.
- Over medium heat, reduce this mixture until thick like a barbecue sauce, approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool. Use as the finishing barbecue sauce on protein.
- Brine mixture will brine 10-15 pounds of beef, pork or chicken.
- Brine should be used one time and then discarded. Do not reuse.
- Brine will work with non-alcoholic root beer, if desired.