Recipe by Executive Chef David McHugh, SDSU Dining Services
- 1-1/2 cups hard winter wheat berries
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped with some green
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- Rinse and drain wheat berries. In a large saucepan, place wheat berries and cover with 2 inches water; bring to boil; cover pan, reduce heat to simmer and cook until chewy, about 1 hour. Drain, rinse and allow to cool.
- Place cooked, cooled wheat berries in a large bowl; stir in celery, parsley, scallions, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Add fresh blueberries, dried blueberries and walnuts; toss just to combine.
- Chill until service.
Number of servings (yield): 6