- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup water or blueberry-infused vodka
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and thyme.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until onion is soft and starts to caramelize, stirring frequently, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar. Increase heat to medium.
- Add blueberries. Stir until they begin to pop.
- Add water or vodka, salt and pepper. Simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat. Let cool. Chill; store in refrigerator.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Uses: spread for sandwiches, toast or crostini; sauce for poultry
Yield: 1 1/3 cups