Blueberry-Wheat Berry Salad
San Diego State University’s Blueberry-Wheat Berry Salad
Executive Chef David McHugh, SDSU Dining Services
- Hard winter wheat berries 1-1/2 cups
- Celery, finely chopped 1/2 cup
- Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped 1/2 cup
- Scallions, finely chopped with some green 1/4 cup
- Fresh lemon juice 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil 2 tablespoons
- Salt 3/4 teaspoon
- White pepper 1/4 teaspoon
- Fresh blueberries 1-1/2 cups
- Dried blueberries 1/2 cup
- Walnuts, toasted, chopped 1/2 cup
- Rinse and drain wheat berries. In a large saucepan, place wheat berries and cover with 2 inches water; bring to boil; cover pan, reduce heat to simmer and cook until chewy, about 1 hour. Drain, rinse and allow to cool.
- Place cooked, cooled wheat berries in a large bowl; stir in celery, parsley, scallions, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Add fresh blueberries, dried blueberries and walnuts; toss just to combine.
- Chill until service.
Number of servings (yield): 6 servings
Powered by Facebook Comments