Recipe by Carlene Thomas, “Healthfully Ever After” Blog
A traditional comfort food gets a sweet and savory update with blueberry barbecue baked beans. Try these as an easy side with a burger, or bring blueberry barbecue baked beans to your next potluck for a dish that’s not soon to be forgotten.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white beans, such as cannellini or navy, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses blackstrap
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, add olive oil and white onion. Cook until onion is translucent; add garlic.
- Cook until garlic becomes fragrant; add beans, molasses, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, mustard powder and ginger.
- Stir and let thicken for 5-8 minutes.
- Toss in half of the blueberries and macerate with beans; add liquid smoke.
- Stir and let cook an additional 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the remaining blueberries, jalapeño, lime zest and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with basil.
Number of servings (yield): 6
49.7 g carbohydrates
1.8 g fat
0.22 g saturated fat
9.2 g protein
17.3 g sugar