- 1 bunch kale (about 1 pound), stemmed and cut into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups blueberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3 red or golden beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1/3cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1. In a large bowl combine kale, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. With your hands, massage until leaves are dark and tender, about 1 minute. Remove to a serving platter or bowl.
3. In a blender, combine 1/2 cup of the blueberries, the marmalade, remaining olive oil and remaining lemon juice; blend until smooth.
4. To the kale add beets, avocado, pumpkin seeds and remaining blueberries; drizzle with dressing; serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
8 grams protein
33 grams carbohydrates
8.6 grams dietary fiber
26.6 grams fat
4 grams saturated fat