Recipe by Danae Halliday, “Recipe Runner” Blog
This classic drink gets a fresh and modern update as a cinnamon blueberry old fashioned. The bitters combined with cinnamon simple syrup and the sweet and tangy splash of blueberries makes the cinnamon blueberry old fashioned the perfect drink for any event from an afternoon tailgating with friends to a warm and cozy night in with family.
Cinnamon Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Blueberry Old Fashioned Ingredients
- 1 ounce bourbon
- 1 ounce blueberry juice (mash 3⁄4 cup defrosted frozen blueberries through a fine mesh strainer using the back of a spoon)
- 1 ounce cinnamon simple syrup
- 2-3 dashes bitters
- 5-6 frozen blueberries
- Sparkling water to top off the drink
Cinnamon Simple Syrup Instructions
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together water and sugar; add in cinnamon sticks.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to boil for about 5 minutes or until syrup has thickened slightly.
- Remove syrup from heat and let cool.
- Extra syrup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Blueberry Old Fashioned Instructions
- For each drink, fill a highball glass with ice. Pour in the bourbon, blueberry juice, 1 ounce cinnamon simple syrup, and bitters; stir until combined.
- Add in frozen blueberries and top with sparkling water. Garnish with cinnamon stick, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 1 cocktail
19.2 g carbohydrates
0.13 g fat
0 g saturated fat
0.15 g protein
17.7 g sugar