Our freekeh and blueberry salad is as filling as it is delicious. With diverse flavors and herbs like chives and parsley, it is perfect as a fresh side dish for a potluck or you can enjoy it as a lunch meal. With fiber and protein, this freekeh and blueberry salad will keep you full and ready to take on the day.
- 1 cup freekeh or farro
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1 apple, cored, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- In a medium size skillet over medium-high heat, toast freekah, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring until fragrant.
- Add broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Transfer freekah to a large bowl. Add dried blueberries, pistachios, apple, parsley and chives. Pour vinaigrette over the mixture, stirring until combined.
8 g protein
42 g carbohydrate
17 g total fat
2 g saturated fat
2 mg cholesterol
7 mg vitamin C
8 g dietary fiber