Recipe by Kita Roberts, “Pass the Sushi” Blog
Satisfy your pumpkin cravings with these savory pumpkin blueberry scones. Rich, earthy pumpkin and tangy-sweet blueberries are tied together with aromatic spices, making these savory pumpkin blueberry scones the perfect seasonal treat.
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup real pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and baking soda.
- Dice butter into small cubes and add to the flour mixture, incorporating it with your fingers, or a pastry blender, until no clumps larger than a pea remain; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the pumpkin and 2 eggs until smooth.
- Add pumpkin into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the blueberries and mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, until it holds. Pat dough into a circle; scatter with blueberries.
- Fold over dough and turn a few times to knead in blueberries.
- Arrange the dough into a disk on a parchment lined baking sheet and slice it into wedges. Brush the scones with the cream.
- Place the scones in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F. Bake the scones for 25 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting.
Number of servings (yield): 6 - 8 scones
For more savory scones, sprinkle ½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese on the scones before baking.