- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1-½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 4 (6-inches long) sub rolls, split and hinged
- 1 small head Boston lettuce
- Blueberry Remoulade
- Pickled Blueberries and Onions
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and egg. In another medium bowl, stir cornmeal, flour, Old Bay and salt.
- To the milk mixture, add shrimp, a few at a time, to coat. Remove one shrimp, allow excess liquid to drain off, and roll in the cornmeal mixture to coat well. Place on a plate or rack. Repeat to coat all the shrimp.
- Meanwhile, pour oil 1-inch deep, into a large saucepan; over medium-high heat, heat oil to 350°F. Gently place 4 to 6 shrimp in the hot oil and fry until golden and crispy on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes; drain on paper towels. Repeat to fry all the shrimp, adding more oil, if needed.
- To serve, spread rolls with Blueberry Remoulade, add lettuce and top with shrimp. Serve with Pickled Blueberries and Onions.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches